Monday, September 22, 2008

Sublime Ricky: Ricky Gervais and Greg Kinnear on 'Ghost Town'

By HOWARD GENSLER
Philadelphia Daily News
http://www.philly.com/
Posted on Fri, Sep. 19, 2008

gensleh@phillynews.com 215-854-5678


DreamWorks/Sarah Shatz

Ricky Gervais, left, Téa Leoni and Greg Kinnear in "Ghost Town."


TORONTO — GREG Kinnear and Ricky Gervais were at the Four Seasons Hotel at the Toronto International Film Festival two weeks ago to talk about their new movie "Ghost Town."

At least Kinnear was.

Gervais? No idea where he was. Kinnear used his alone time to give a plug for his next movie, "Flash of Genius," and to get a few digs in at his wry British co-star, best known here for "Extras" on HBO and the original version of "The Office."

"Earlier this morning I was a few minutes late so I had to hear about it all morning," Kinnear said. "This is just GOLD to me."

"So what were you guys like together?" another journalist asked.

"I was funny and he was LATE," Kinnear joked. "I would come on and be funny and we would wait and wait. You'd never know when he'd show up. Ah, I'm sure he'll be here momentarily.

"He's so quick with a comeback," another writer asked, "did you feel that sometime you could be cut off at the knees with some withering comment?"

Kinnear looked at the empty seat next to him. "Not right now," he said, grinning.

"That's why I'm trying to get it all in. That's why I keep looking at the door. If we could just wrap this thing up...It's the only interview where I've come out unscathed.

"He's very funny," Kinnear whispered. "And I think he does a very nice job in the movie. It's his first leading role in a film.

"You know as [writer/director] David Koepp says, 'The real message of the movie is don't be a d---,' so it's not like it's a huge message movie, but it does require a little emotional skill and I think he handled that nicely."

"A lot of people in America don't know Ricky," said a reporter.

"That's because he's late to things," Kinnear said, refusing to let it go. "It's hard to know a man who doesn't show up."

"Did you know much about him before you met?"

"I knew him from 'The Office,'" Kinnear said, "but I didn't know he was playing the part when I read it. I think David wrote it without anybody in mind...but I can't think of anyone who fit the part better than him. We met on the set....But he's a good chap, good mate, good bloke."

He addressed the empty chair. "Aren't you?"

A few minutes later, as Kinnear jokingly tried to finish the interview, Gervais entered and the entire orderly Q&A process spiraled out of control.

Gervais: Thank you for keeping my warmup man...

Kinnear: We were just talking...about the importance of being...prompt.

Gervais: He was late this morning.

Reporter: Since this film is about ghosts, Ricky, there's been a story printed that you encountered some type of haunting at a hotel...

Gervais: Absolute rubbish. I've never heard of that hotel. I wasn't there. It's totally made up. There's quotes and everything. Ridiculous.

Reporter: There's a line in the movie, Ricky, where Tea Leoni's character sees you as a man who needs work. How do you feel about that?

Gervais: He's a flawed character. When people say Ricky Gervais in a romantic comedy, I have to go, 'No, it's not like that.' I know I'm not George Clooney. But what's sort of nice about him is he's sort of a wounded man and she sees something in him.

(Motioning to Kinnear) And he's just a complete a-- in this. He's sexist, he's awful. No feelings at all. At least my feelings have been hurt —he's never had any feelings.

Kinnear: But he's on time.

Gervais: I was talking about your character. You thought all that was about you? You're a lovely, fluffy little thing.

Reporter: Do either of you believe in ghosts?

Gervais: I don't believe in the hereafter, or ghosts, or elves...

Kinnear: Oddly enough, the tooth fairy.

Gervais: Noooooooooo. I believe in dentists....I don't go.

Kinnear: That's an English thing.

Gervais: A very English thing.

Kinnear: I believe Koepp says it quite nicely — 'I believe in ghost stories.'

Gervais: And I think they're great as a Trojan horse to get to all those other emotions. It's a vehicle to get somewhere. I'm an atheist, but my favorite films are 'It's a Wonderful Life' and 'The Bishop's Wife.' They're a metaphor and they're heartwarming. I can suspend my disbelief for an hour-and-a-half in a fantasy film. Otherwise I might as well watch a documentary.

Reporter: Ricky, you're so good at playing uncomfortable characters who make the audience uncomfortable. What appeals to you about that?

Gervais: I think everyone identifies with that more than any other thing. When we're in a safe environment where we're not starving and our children are not being shot at, what's the worst thing that happens to you — a bit of bad service or a social faux pas. The most mortifying thing to everyone is being embarrassed socially. I think public speaking is a bigger fear than death. It comes up higher than death. And with either comedy or drama, I think the most important thing is empathy. And everyone knows what it's like to be embarrassed.

...I don't get embarrassed for me but I get embarrassed for other people. If someone makes a bad joke, I just want to take it back. I sweat. If I'm watching a reality game show, like 'Big Brother' and they're flirting, I want to leave the room.

People say 'The Office' was embarrassing, but then I saw 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' and I was like, 'Oh, God, oh, God, oh, God, shut up, shut up, shut up.'

Reporter: What do you think of the Steve Carell version of "The Office"?

Gervais: I want Steve Carell to work his fingers to the bone....Because I get half his wages. *

No comments: