Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Jim Brown: 'I fell in love with' Trump after today's meeting


December 13, 2016
Jim Brown, Ray Lewis Comment on Meeting President-Elect Donald Trump
Jim Brown and Ray Lewis at Trump Tower on Tuesday. TIMOTHY A. CLARY/Getty Images
NFL icon and civil rights leader Jim Brown, a former Hillary Clinton supporter, sang President-elect Trump's praises after meeting with him at Trump Tower earlier Tuesday, and predicted Trump would stay in office two terms.
"He's going to be our man for the next four years at least, probably eight, and he's amenable to listening to people who did not vote for him," Brown told CNN. "I fell in love with him because he really talks about helping African-American, black people and that's why I'm here."
"[W]hat he went through to become the president, he got my admiration. Because no one gave him a chance, you know? They called him names, people that called him names when he won he reached back and brought them along with him. He held no grudges," Brown added.
Brown and former NFL linebacker Ray Lewis met with Trump to discuss partnering with Brown's Amer-I-Can outreach program as the administration rolls out its plan to help black communities battling unemployment, poverty and crime.
"We talked about making America a better country. We talked about the poor people. We talked about African-American people. We talked about education, getting rid of violence. Dealing with economic development realistically and how to work together," said Brown.
Brown also said it's a non-issue that Trump's Cabinet is mostly made up of white men.
"I'll say this to you, and I don't ever say this, the three greatest people in my life were white. My high school coach, my high school superintendent and my mentor in Long Island," Brown said. "But I was in this country where I got help from people that were not of my same color so when I come out of the box, I don't come out of the box as racial, I look for good people and people that will be like-minded and help me try to do good for other human beings so that's where I'm coming from." 

No comments: