Thursday, January 11, 2007

Bobby's Battle




Murcer upbeat in fight against cancer
BY BILL MADDEN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
January 11, 2007

Although the pathologist report on his brain tumor was grave, Bobby Murcer remained upbeat yesterday as he faced what he termed "the biggest fight of my life so far."

Murcer, who underwent surgery last week, has learned that the tumor was malignant, and apparently the reports showed other invasive cells. As a result, the popular Yankee announcer and former outfielder is facing six weeks of chemotherapy and radiation treatments. In addition to that, Murcer said, the doctors at MD Anderson Hospital in Houston have discussed using an experimental treatment for the cancer, and that has given him renewed hope.

"I've got a great team of doctors down here," Murcer, 60, told the Daily News from the hospital, "and they've got some new things they want to try. Hopefully, I can be a positive example for others."

In a statement issued through the Yankees earlier in the day, Murcer said: "I'm not having to battle this alone, but I'm fortified with the most loving family and an abundance of wonderful friends and fans."

And Yankees owner George Steinbrenner issued a statement of his own about Murcer, who has been a Yankee fixture for 40 years.

"Bobby Murcer represents the spirit of the Yankees, and above all he's my dear friend," Steinbrenner said. "I know Bobby very well. He has true grit, is a fighter, and our entire Yankee organization offers our prayers to him and his family for a big win in this battle."

Before he got the latest report, Murcer had expressed a determination to attend the Jan. 24 BAT Dinner in New York, at which he serves as chairman. But while that's no longer possible, he vowed to make it back to work.

"We'll have to see how my body responds to all this treatment," said Murcer, "but I plan to be back in the booth next season and I'm still looking forward to getting down to spring training at some time."

In the meantime, however, he acknowledged the tough fight ahead.

"Tell all my friends and fans how much I appreciate all their prayers," Murcer said, "and tell them that, if it's all right, I could probably use a few more." Originally published on January 11, 2007

No comments: